Acoustic Modulation and Manipulation of Two-Dimensional Materials
Our pioneering fundamental work has shown the ability to manipulate quasiparticles in two-dimensional materials such as monolayer and few-layer molybdenum disulphide (MoS2) using acoustic fields. Specifically, we have demonstrated the possibility for reversibly modulating the trion to exciton transition and their subsequent transport and hence spatial separation within the material.
In other work, we show the possibility of harnessing surface acoustic waves for micro/nanoscale material processing, in particular, for debundling carbon nanotube agglomerates in dry form.
- AR Rezk, B Carey, AF Chrimes, DWM Lau, BC Gibson, C Zheng, MS Fuhrer, LY Yeo, K Kalantar-zadeh. Acoustically-Driven Trion and Exciton Modulation in Piezoelectric Two-Dimensional MoS2. Nano Lett 16, 849–855 (2016).
- M Miansari, A Qi, LY Yeo, JR Friend. Vibration-Induced Deagglomeration and Shear-Induced Alignment of Carbon Nanotubes in Air. Adv Funct Mater 25, 1014–1023 (2015) [Article coverart selected as journal front cover 7/2015 p 989].
- AR Rezk, S Walia, R Ramanathan, H Nili, JZ Ou, V Bansal, JR Friend, M Bhaskaran, LY Yeo, S Sriram. Acoustic–Excitonic Coupling for Dynamic Photoluminescence Manipulation of Quasi-2D MoS2 Nanoflakes. Adv Opt Mater 3, 888–894 (2015) [Article coverart selected as journal front cover].
Surface Phonon-Polariton Coupling in Monolithic Phononic Crystals
Surface acoustic wave phononic band gap structures, in which phonons are prohibited from propagating, arising from surface phonon-polariton coupling in two-dimensional structures are demonstrated in monolithic phononic crystals that are completely mechanically, electromagnetically and topographically homogeneous, thus opening up new possibilities for a wide range of acoustic-optic and acoustofluidic applications.
- D Yudistira, A Boes, B Djafari-Rouhani, Y Pennec, LY Yeo, A Mitchell, JR Friend. Monolithic Phononic Crystals with a Surface Acoustic Band Gap from Surface Phonon-Polariton Coupling. Phys Rev Lett 113, 215503 (2014).
- D Yudistra, A Boes, AR Rezk, LY Yeo, JR Friend, A Mitchell. UV Direct Write Metal Enhanced Redox (MER) Domain Engineering for Realization of Surface Acoustic Devices on Lithium Niobate. Adv Mater Interfaces 1, 1400006 (2014) [Article coverart selected for journal back cover].
- D Yudistira, A Boes, B Dumas, AR Rezk, M Yousefi, B Djafari-Rouhani, LY Yeo, A Mitchell. Phonon-Polariton Entrapment in Homogenous Surface Phonon Cavities. Ann Phys 528, 365–372 (2016) [Article coverart selected for journal back cover p 434].
- D Yudistira, A Boes, B Graczykowski, F Alzina, LY Yeo, CM Sotomayor Torres, A Mitchell. Nanoscale Pillar Hypersonic Surface Phononic Crystals. Phys Rev B 94, 094304 (2016).