Through numerical studies, we examine the dynamics of thin liquid films and drops driven by interfacial stresses arising from surface tension gradients (Marangoni stresses) and thermal gradients (thermocapillary stresses). In the former, we investigate at the effects of the presence of surfactants on drop coalescence, and in their wider context of the phase inversion of liquid-liquid dispersions. In the latter, we show through a normal modes analysis and a transient growth analysis that longwave instabilities due to transverse disturbances can lead to the dewetting of thin films and the formation of fractal-like fingering structures, as shown above.
In other work, we explore the possibility of synthesizing via novel methods surface nanodroplets and Janus composite liquid marbles.
- LY Yeo, OK Matar, ES Perez de Ortiz, GF Hewitt. Phase Inversion and Associated Phenomena. Multiphase Science & Technology 12, 51 (2000).
- LY Yeo, OK Matar, ES Perez de Ortiz, GF Hewitt. The Dynamics of Marangoni-Driven Local Film Drainage Between Two Drops. J Colloid Interface Sci 241, 233 (2001).
- LY Yeo, OK Matar, ES Perez de Ortiz, GF Hewitt. A Simple Predictive Tool for Modelling Phase Inversion in Liquid-Liquid Dispersions. Chem Eng Sci 57, 1069 (2002).
- LY Yeo, OK Matar, ES Perez de Ortiz, GF Hewitt. Simulation Studies of Phase Inversion in Agitated Vessels Using a Monte Carlo Technique. J Colloid Interface Sci 248, 443 (2002).
- LY Yeo, OK Matar, ES Perez de Ortiz, GF Hewitt. A Description of Phase Inversion Behaviour in Agitated Liquid-Liquid Dispersions Under the Influence of the Marangoni Effect. Chem Eng Sci 57, 3505 (2002).
- LY Yeo, OK Matar, ES Perez de Ortiz, GF Hewitt. Film Drainage Between Two Surfactant Coated Drops Colliding at Constant Approach Velocity. J Colloid Interface Sci 257, 93 (2003).
- LY Yeo, OK Matar. Hydrodynamic Instability of a Thin Viscous Film Between Two Drops. J Colloid Interface Sci 261, 575 (2003).
- LY Yeo, RV Craster, OK Matar. Marangoni Instability of a Thin Liquid Film Resting on a Locally Heated Horizontal Wall. Phys Rev E 67, 056315 (2003).
- D Chakraborty, M Bajaj, L Yeo, J Friend, M Pasquali, J Ravi Prakash. Viscoelastic Flow in a Two-Dimensional Collapsible Channel. J Non-Newtonian Fluid Mech 165, 1204-1218 (2010).
- O Manor, M Dentry, JR Friend, LY Yeo. Substrate Dependent Drop Deformation and Wetting Under High Frequency Vibration. Soft Matter 7, 7976–7979 (2011).
- D Chakraborty, J Ravi Prakash, J Friend, L Yeo. Fluid-Structure Interaction in Deformable Microchannels. Phys Fluids 24, 102002 (2012).
- J Wang, L Bao, E Dietrich, RCA van der Veen, S Peng, J Friend, HJW Zandvliet, L Yeo, D Lohse, X Zhang. Mixed Mode of Dissolving Immersed Nanodroplets at a Solid-Water Interface. Soft Matter 11, 1889–1900 (2015) [Article featured in 2015 Soft Matter Hot Papers; coverart selected as journal inner front cover p 1854].
- L Bao, AR Rezk, LY Yeo, X Zhang. Highly Ordered Arrays of Femtoliter Surface Nanodroplets. Small 11, 4850–4855 (2015).
- JO Castro, BM Neves, AR Rezk, N Eshtiaghi, LY Yeo. Continuous Production of Janus and Composite Liquid Marbles with Tunable Coverage. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces 8, 17751–17756 (2016).
- Z Lu, A Rezk, F Jativa, L Yeo, X Zhang. Dissolution Dynamics of a Suspension Droplet in a Binary Solution for Controlled Nanoparticle Assembly. Nanoscale 9, 13441–13448 (2017) ) [Article coverart selected as journal inner front cover].
- Z Lu, MH Klein Schaarsberg, X Zhu, LY Yeo, D Lohse, X Zhang. Universal Nanodroplet Branches from Confining the Ouzo Effect. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 114, 10332–10337 (2017).